We have found that if Portal for ArcGIS is installed on a machine that has more than one network adaptor set up, users can experience performance issues.
The problem is isolated to slow running requests going to Portal's PostgreSQL database. This can be checked using your browser's development tools.
To check if this issue affects your Portal for ArcGIS site, log in to the site and browse to 'My Content' whilst using the browser's network trace tools. Look through the network calls that are being made and find the one that includes a token in the request. For example:
Copy this link into a new browser tab and monitor the request time. If the request takes more than a few seconds then try the workflow below.
- Browse to your network adaptors by typing 'Network and Sharing Center' and clicking on 'Change adaptor settings'
- If more than one network adaptor is displayed, right click the primary adaptor and select 'Properties'
- Select 'Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and select 'Properties' and click 'Advanced'
- Untick 'Automatic metric' and enter '1' for the 'Interface metric'
- Select the Gateway under 'Default gateways' and select 'Edit'
- Untick 'Automatic metric' if ticked on and enter '1' as the Metric value
Setting the metric value gives the primary network adaptor priority over the other network adaptors. Browse through your Portal for ArcGIS site and see if this improves the response times.